May 25, 2013

What Am I Going to Do When in the U.S?


          "What am I going to do when I study in the U.S?" This is a question I am asking myself upon receiving a piece of good news from the U.S Embassy which is located in Phnom Penh that I am officially confirmed as  a finalist by the U.S Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
      
         I will be spending a year living and studying in one U.S university, though I do not know which university and travel date yet. Even though I have never been to the U.S before, I've already seen myself walking on a snow during winter, laying and barbequing  on the beach, swimming in the sea, and surfing through the wave during summer, walking in a bloomed garden and taking countless photos with cheery blossom in spring, and riding a bike with my friends, American and other friends of different cultural backgrounds, in fall. All of these imaginations are so vivid, and sure, I will do them all. And these are just a part of what I am going to do, and these are just a part of extracurricular activities besides my academic activities.

         Besides fun activities, I want to take part in a debate club; a club in which we debate over engineering issues. I seriously believe that being a part of this club will not only enable me to understand more about something relating to engineering field, but also my English speaking skill, self-confidence, problem-solving skill, and the like will be cultivated in me as a person. It is generally well said that if you are to TRY to do sth, at least get SOMETHING from it; it should be something, rather than nothing. Therefore, I will definitely get it, not nothing. 

          Whenever thinking about going to the U.S, I cannot stop thinking about what I will be doing and how amazing it is. The feeling is not far different from when I got a piece of news before going to Japan for the first time in summer last year. I would think how it felt when stepping on the land of Japan, how it smelt when breathing in the air of Japan, how it looked when glancing around the immediate vicinity of the view of Japan, how it sounded when hearing people of Japan talking, and how it tasted when eating Japanese foods. This feeling is now also infiltrating deep into my heart. 

           I am also drawing a comparison between the life in Japan and in the United States of America. Personally, I believe that it will make it easier for me to live and study in the State than in Japan. Why? The answer to this question is that when I was in Japan, I could only make a smooth conversation in the zone where Japanese people could speak English, say at the university, but whenever I went out, say to super market, everything was in Japanese. I only used my gestures and some broken Japanese expressions to communicate.  Since now I am going to America, and I will have graduated from an English School, the Institute of Foreign Languages, also America is a place where English is spoken, I feel at ease studying there. 

        It will be another amazing experience for me to gain in my life. My sub-goals have been accomplished step by step, and some time in the near future, they will be form in a full appearance. "Dream big, achieve big", said Walt Disney.



No comments:

Post a Comment